Report Violations

If you have had an injury in a Salon you can report it to the state licensing board or you should contact a lawyer. If you don't see a license posted for your viewing then they are in violation if you are paying any type of funds for the service. Keep your receipt plus write down the information about the service and the tech's name. OSHA INFO


Email details to or calling the Board for Barber and Cosmetology at (804) 367-8504 and in some cases they have funds available for injuries.


Virginia Complaint Form Mailed
Adobe Acrobat document [78.2 KB]

The Salon has to have a license posted to sell specific services (even if at home):

  • Cosmetology Salon License to sell hair, makeup, waxing and nail services
  • Barbershop license to sell barbering services like cutting and shaving
  • Nail Salon License to sell nail services
  • Esthetics Spa License to sell skin care, makeup, waxing and lash services
  • Tattoo Parlor License to sell skin or makeup tattooing

The Service Provider has to have a license posted to sell specific services:

  • Cosmetologist to sell hair, makeup, waxing, lash and nail services
  • Barber to sell barbering services
  • Nail Technician to sell only nail services
  • Esthetician to sell skin care, makeup, waxing and lash services
  • Tattooer to sell skin skin tattooing services
  • Permanent Cosmetic Tatooer to sell makeup tatooing services
  • Body Piercing to sell skin piercing services

Anyone "in-training" must have a Apprentice License from DOLI posted for clients to view and must supervised by a license Tech during the client's visit. If they do not have this license then they are not earning hours towards licensing. 

Print | Sitemap Recommend this page
State Licensed © Virginia Nail School in 12 Centre Court in Palmyra VA 22963. 434-305-9799